Well, looks like I've hit nine months. The only faithful writers are Mom and Tellese. Hahaha, I'm good with that though. ;) I'll expect to hear from you all in May-ish.
Events of this week....
Angelina and Sabina are holding strong for this weekend. I've been praying my heart out for those two. I firmly believe I was sent to this sector for them and I love them so so much.
Also I've decided I'm not ready for kids, not ready at all. I love being a mom, but not ready for kids.
Hermana Rodriguez is AMAAAZIIIIING. And I don't even have to train her.
Yesterday I gave a talk in Spanish...in church. WOW. High five.
We had divisiones with Hermana Owen and it was so great. Hermana Owen is going home with me and I love that Hermana.
This week I've been thinking about how we can preach the gospel anywhere. I read in Alma 32 this week and loooved it. Go read it. Read it now.
"And ye shall feast upon this fruit even until you are filled, that ye hunger not, neither ye thirst."
That fruit is the faith we have in Jesus Christ, which will never leave us without.
Love all of you and I hope you're alll prepping for the winter. It just keeps getting hotter here, but I sure love Chile.
xoxo Hermana Brinkerhoff
Expect to hear from me on Tuesdays for the rest of my mission because every day is a holiday here.
Jokes, but really.
This week was actually not as hard as I thought it would be. I received my greenie last Tuesday and....she's from Argentina!!!!! Cordaba. Her accent is SWEEEET. It took me a bit to understand her accent, but now we're all good. ;) She's a hard little worker and the girl's got spirit! I'm excited to see what our time together will bring!!
We have two Haitanos that want to get married!!! So we are working on that. Sabina and Angelina are still holding strong and now we're hoping for the 22 of Octubre.
Spiritual thought for this week:
To whom shall ye go? I don't remember who said that in conference, but I've been think about this a lot this week. Stay in the boat, hold on with both hands! The church is true!
xoxo Hermana Brinkerhoff
The photo with a map in the background. The other Hermana is Hermana Lopez :) Also can you find my photo in the big map?
What a week.
1. Sabina accepted a fecha (date) for 15 de Octubre!!!!! I just might baptize my very first Chilean!!!
2. I loved conference. We had our gringo room where we enjoyed speaking english without being judged. It was a blast! I found it really interesting how much was said about the second coming, how every knee shall bow and confess that Christ is Christ (and that we need to do this today), and of course la obra misional (missionary work!!!) A lot of the scriptures that were mentioned I knew in memory...which really freaked me out la verdad. Those morning estudios are paying off!! Three of the scriptures mentioned were scriptures I've been recently studying this cambio..and my homework for you is to look them up: 1) Alma 30:44, 2) D&C 6:22 3, and 3) 1 Corinthians 2:9. I loved all the talks and I'm not picking favorites but one that really caught my attention was the one that talked about leaders...and who the Lord calls he qualifies. Why you may ask? Because on Sunday morning my way-too-excited Brasilian zone leader (note that he is from Brasil and is way too happy) ran up to me and said:
"HERMANA!!! President and the Lord listened to my request and you're going to TRAIN!!!!! I hope your hija is from Brasil!!!"
And there you have it. The greenie is training a greenie. I haven't met her yet and I have no clue where she is from, but mis hermanos....I am a mother in the mission.
Today we had a meeting with the assistants on how to train and I'm feeling a bit better, but I didn't sleep last night. I feel like I have a HUGE responsibility, but I'm excited for the task.
I sure love all of you!
Here are some photos of my dear Hermana Amestica and our zone and district! Penaflor is crazy, but being here has been the happiest I've been my whole mission.
The internet is working today!!!
I hope you are all doing super, super well!
To catch up:
On the 18th we had a ward party that was a blast. I felt rather Chilean. Jean Cleeff got baptized the next day and yesterday he got confirmed!!! It was so awesome. He's the best. He always says to me in english, "Brinkerhoff, I am happy because I know God!"
I'm just glad I made that street contact during my first week in this sector. It was the best contact of my mission!
It's gotten HOT here. I've got some sweet tan lines to show for it. It's going to be a hot summer.
Also my comp is so funny and sassy. Some days I just can't take our funny she is. I've really enjoyed the girls I've been living with too. I have so many videos of us just dying laughing every night. We have a good time. Next week is cambios and everyone has been saying I'm next in line to train a greenie, so I've been feeling rather nervous lately. We'll see....don't feel ready at all for that.
This week we spent a lot of time with Olga (the grandma of ignacia). Last week she came to church and prayed during the sacrament if the church was true..she said she received her answer that---yes it's true. Now we've been working to calm some of her concerns and help her in the path to baptism!!!!
Also we picked up two new people–super super awesome–Angelina and Sabina (it's a mother and daughter). They came to church yesterday and loved ittttt!!!
Quote of the week..."Yeah, and Brinkerhoff, she's from the nation of Wyoming" -Makenson
Wow! Hermana Brinkerhoff is alive. Sorry everyone this week was party time in Chile and nothing was open, so our P day is today!!!
This week was a week where I felt like I threw my whole heart on the table. I feel like I give it my best, but this week was all I had let me tell you.
Jean Cleeff got baptized and he was so excited!
Well the computer deleted all of my email...twice.
So that's all I've got for you.
It was a week. It was a week let me tell you.
1. My comp was SUPER sick, so I played nurse. She was also sick the day of our baptism interview and I ran around Padre Hurtado like a mad woman trying to figure everything out. In the end it all worked out, like things always do, &&&&&& Makenson got baptized!!! He was so pumped. The whole time he was like "Brinkerhoff...gracias...thank you Brinkerhoff." Ah. I can't describe to you what it's like to bring a soul unto Christ. It's like nothing I've ever experienced and I just want BAUTIZAR.
2. We had divisions in Olimpo and it was sweet. I had a great chat with Hermana Hatch my, STL which helped me out a ton. I was comps with Hermana Lumbre and we went and taught this guy named Chris (shoutout to my boy Chris Brinkerhoff!!!) Anyways this guy told us he had a dream about Joseph Smith walking next to Jesus. It's moments like that on the mission I'll never forget.
3. We had a meeting with Presidente and Hermana Woodward (always a good time). Our zone sang the EFY song and it was the worst version I've ever heard. You know that's going on Facebook when I get home. I took a video and the assistants were just cracking up the whole time. Oh, the talent we have here in South America.
4. Saw Hermana Grover in the Plaza this week with her hija. Almost died inside and was jumping with excitement. Love you, Grove City girl!
This week I read a scripture that llamo la atención...lista?
"Eye hath not seen nor ear heard, neither entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him." 1 Cor. 2:9.
Imagine what blessings He has in store for those who love Him & keep His commandments—We just cannot imagine.
Also one year ago I got my call to come to this little country called Chile. Time flies. By far the best decision I ever made for my life.
Love you all so, so much!!!